Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Relativity of Belonging

BIESENBACH: Do you think you are ever at home, culturally? Do you ever say to yourself, ‘This is where I belong’?

ABRAMOVIC: No, I don’t. I have asked myself this question so many times. I think that home is me. Any hotel room is home. Any place can be home, but actually home is inside me. I don’t really have any space where I would call home. And it’s happening even with languages now. I don’t have dreams in Serbo-Croatian anymore. I mix English, Italian, French. It’s a mess. I think it comes from this extensive travelling. There were times when literally every four or five days I would take a plane somewhere else. So everything became relative, in a way. I always have this idea that I see everything from an aeroplane. I see the totality and not the particular parts of the planet.

No comments: